Characterization: Age Five Philosophy

I'm rewriting a my very first WIP, an urban fantasy, working title for the series The Nuhu Saga.

Today, I'm working on character development with The Age Five Philosophy, which helps define and set the unconsious behavior of the characters.

According to psychologists, every person makes a decision about life based on what they experienced in the first five years. This philosophy (not a conscious one), colors every decision and action a person makes.

Age 5 philosophy: “Life is a place where ______ and the way I can best fit into it is _______.”

Here are a few examples from characters in "Shadow Need" part one of the Nuhu Saga:
  • Emily Shadow (Heroine) "Life is a place where powerful people make up the rules and the way I can best fit into it is to pretend to be human, watch, learn, and wait until I can take away their control."
  • Brent Cambers  (Hero) “Life is a place where the people you love hurt you and the way I can best fit into it is to never love anyone.”
  • Chaos (Antagonist) “Life is a place where I am the most superior being to ever exist and the way I can best fit into it is to force people to worship my greatness and punish those who refuse.”
  • Mr Red (blocking character) “Life is a place where grief is the only real emotion and the way I can best fit into it is to rage against those who cause me grief.”
  • Filo (sidekick) “Life is a place where I can experience exciting adventures and the way I can best fit into it is to seize the moment and live life on the edge.”
When I first started writing, I was panzer all of the way. But the more writing tools I discover, the more of a structuralist I become, especially for complex works like this one.

 I'll keep you posted.
Carrie Olguin

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Carrie! What an awesome way to build on your characters. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another interesting tool to use! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete